Joseph Gilles is an experienced Property, Business and Tax Lawyer.
He was admitted in 1974 and worked for two years at Wellington NSW with a Solicitor/Accountant in general practice, including Old System Conveyancing and Tax.
He joined Giles Payne & Co. in 1976 and became a partner shortly thereafter.
He became a fellow of the Tax Institute of Australia in 1982 and a Chartered Tax Adviser in 2012.
As an Accredited Specialist in Business Law from 1993 and in Property Law from 1994, he has been actively involved in work in the areas of his accredited specialties.
Joseph has been a member of the Business Law Committee of the Law Society of New South Wales and of the Law Society / Revenue New South Wales Liaison Committee.
Area of Expertise
In the area of Business Law, SME Tax and Property Law, Joseph has wide experience in:-
- Leasing, including Retail Leasing where he has been asked to lecture by the College of Law and the Law Society of New South Wales
- Purchases by Self-Managed Superannuation Funds using Limited Recourse Borrowing Arrangements
- Drafting numerous documents involved in the real estate process, including Options to Sell and Purchase
- Advising on and drafting documents in respect of shared ownership of real estate by parents and children, regarding their obligations including documenting arrangements such as the building of additions by children on properties owned by parents
- Advising on Company Title to Strata Conversions, including the stamp duty obligations and compliance with Revenue New South Wales requirements
- Advising on Valuation objections as they apply to Land Tax
In the area of Business Law and Tax, Joseph has been involved in:-
- Setting up Superannuation Funds
- Litigation against the Commissioner of Taxation in various areas, including Capital Gains Tax, Default Assessments and GST
- Applying for Private Binding Rulings on Tax and GST
- Advising on Land Tax issues and how they affect small and medium enterprises and individuals, including objections
- Advising and acting on the purchase and sale of businesses and companies
In the area of Succession Planning and Wills, Joseph:-
- Drafts both straight forward and complex Wills including Testamentary Trusts
- Advises on Superannuation Benefits and appeals and objections to decisions by Trustees in respect of the payment of Superannuation Death Benefits
- Advises on the tax and finance issues relating to Family Law settlements
- Drafts documents in respect of asset protection for business people
- Advises on and drafts documents in respect of Trusts and the law of gifts
- Advises on and sets up Special Disability Trusts under the Social Security Act
- Advises on and drafts Powers of Attorney and Appointments of Enduring Guardian, including complex powers and guardianship appointments